Monday 17 November 2014

Evolving playing

Hiya! Without wanting to be too inward looking, I've just watched an old video of me playing from 2006. This is without doubt my biggest success on youtube - over 50,000 hits haha... (Give us an endorsment Ibanez!)



Here's a more recent one


These are my thoughts (apart from the change in style, feel etc)

The years have not been kind :-) Where did it all go wrong? :-)

It's interesting how my playing has changed. I've done a lot of self assessment of this kind and it's not always clear how much of an improvement has been made in a matter of a year, over 8 years it's good to see that there has been a real change.

I feel in terms of time feel my playing has improved beyond recognition. In 2006 I simply did not play in time.

I think it was about this time when I had my first jazz guitar lesson in around 8 years, and had a bit of a shock when it was made clear to me just how bad my time was and how important it was to fix it. This has become a running theme in lessons and in musical life in general. I've consistently practiced rhythm for the intervening years in various ways, no end in sight yet! I can hear a few slips here and there in the 2014 video, but overall, there's no comparison.

In any case, my sense of time is something I sweat blood over. I think it's the central concern for everyone who is interested in playing jazz seriously.

So, yes the improvement is a relief!

I've also done a lot of work on transcription - I feel that's great work for starting to hear musical phrases rather than simply rattle through scales and arpeggios.

However - I like the energy of the performance in all its on top of the beat frenzy. I could really get around the guitar back then. Since then I've completely changed my technique to deal with acoustic instruments, I was a stone cold alternate picker back then. Now I play gypsy style - there's some things I can roast on the guitar, but some of the flexibility is gone, which I've traded for acoustic tone. Could always go back though ;-)

So it's reassuring to know things are in flux, and in general for the better. Watching this old video does make me want to get back on jazz-funk-fusion horse again. Is that a good thing? ;-)

Has anyone else done a similar comparison?

No comments:

Post a Comment